Silence on the set, camera, action! It’s time to start the webinar! We present practical tips on how to prepare for it and what tools to use to increase audience engagement. According to the Paraphrase-Online.com Team report, over 85% of the surveyed companies plan to organize a webinar in 2022. What are your plans? Know that a real-time webinar is a great form of inbound marketing to include in your strategy. The group of people willing to go on a webinar adventure is growing every year. In recent years, after the “mask revolution” and the transition to remote work, they have gained even more fans. Many companies have moved face-to-face meetings – conferences, trainings or workshops – to the online world. Marketing, sales and other specialists not only willingly organize them, but also participate in them. In 2021, as many as 74% of respondents declared that they had participated in webinars.
Webinar – what is it? Definition
A webinar is a type of online lecture, an online meeting in which the host connects with the participants of the webinar through real-time video transmission with the help of a web browser or application (thanks to the webcast technology), i.e. with the use of virtual tools. It is also called a webinar in a different way. This name comes from the English language from the combination of the two words “web”, that is, web and seminar – that is, seminar. The real-time webinar may be hosted by one or more organizers. As a rule, event participants must register in advance to take part in it. When the organizers are on the vision, registered people are notified that the broadcast has started. During the webinar, you can resign from it at any time and rejoin it when you leave it.
During webinars, organizers most often present multimedia presentations, visualizations, reports or go through systems or tools to show participants what they look like “inside out”. Final Q&A has also become a common practice, i.e. the ability to ask questions to the tutor to find out about his point of view, good practices or to take advantage of consultations. In order to increase the involvement of webinar participants, it is also worth resorting to the use of surveys, using quizzes and tests related to the topic of the webinar.
Webinar – for whom? Who and when does it pay off?
Webinars greatly enrich other forms of content marketing in the company.
It is an unobtrusive form of contact with recipients, thanks to which we can gain their trust, meet their needs or learn more about their purchasing preferences. Webinars are often used, for example, by:
– service companies that can thus present the expert knowledge of their specialists,
– companies offering SAAS & CRM tools, using webinars, incl. in order to present the platform or present useful functions,
– brands of stores (both stationary and online), not only to present the latest products, but also to educate and strengthen your image.
The above examples relate to the entities that use the power of webinars the most. It is worth remembering that this form of remote conference can raise a variety of issues, not only focused on the sale itself.
When is it profitable to include webinars in your communication and for what purpose?
– to strengthen our image as an expert,
– to communicate important changes, news or improvements,
– to answer the most frequently asked questions of potential customers and users,
– to help customers understand a more technical issue or technology that is of particular value and advantage
– our company’s competitive edge,
– for purely educational purposes,
– to promote the company’s attitude to environmental, political and social issues or to inform about the undertaken CSR activities.
What does a webinar give you?
Using the Internet to organize a video broadcast (using special software or Youtube) allows you to conduct a meeting live, virtually anywhere in the world, anywhere! What are the advantages of this – for you and the webinar participants?
– Saving money – you do not have to rent a room for training or a meeting. The software is definitely cheaper!
– Flexibility and convenience – the location of the webinar is practically optional!
– Time savings – for commuting. When organizing an online meeting, you don’t have to go anywhere! – Interacting with potential customers.
– Ease of use of videoconferencing software.
– Strengthening your position as an expert – after the training, you can provide webinar participants with access to downloadable materials.
– Expanding the customer base – thanks to appropriate advertising of your service during the webinar.
Technical aspects – how long should the webinar last?
When determining the duration of our webinar, it is worth following good UX (User Experience) practices. We want to convey value to our recipients – so we need enough time to establish a relationship with them, present the topic in an interesting way, encourage interaction and answer questions. However, we must not bore them by spending too much time on frivolous matters. Let us always follow the rule “to the shore”.
How long is the webinar?
From our experience, we distinguish several types of webinars depending on their duration:
– Short webinars lasting up to 30 minutes. Most often, in such webinars, we discuss the latest changes, updates or news. Short and to the point. We focus on one issue or answer questions from listeners. This type of virtual lecture will appeal to those who do not have much time for “non-work” matters, but want to learn about specific issues in their profession.
– Medium-length webinars, approximately 45 minutes long – the most optimal. We know from experience that in about 45 minutes we can easily keep the recipient’s attention, present important issues and curiosities, while not appropriating too much of his time. And as we know, time is at a premium!
– Longer and very long webinars – lasting from about one to even one and a half hours. Sometimes we have no choice. So many questions arise that the pre-planned 50 minutes turns into over an hour long remote conference. When planning the structure of the presentation before the webinar, it is worth creating key points that we definitely need to discuss and stick to them as much as possible. Sometimes, under the influence of emotions, we resort to digressions.
How often is it worth organizing webinars?
There are many ways to success in organizing webinars. We have some good and worked out tips:
– Match the date of the webinar to the season and schedule of your potential client. Knowing that at some point in time we are all busy with completely different things, for example in December we tackle the latest topics to get into the new year with a blank slate, or during the holidays our most frequent listeners take holidays and do not spend long hours in front of the computer – by force do not try to encourage them to attend the event.
– Create a series or cycle – every month, every three or maybe once a week? Thanks to this, your recipients will know when they can expect the next views of the recording and enter the date of the event in the calendar.
How many people can participate in the webinar?
Most webinar tools, such as: Livewebinar, Clickmeeting, Livestorm, offer 20 to 100 participants for free. More extended packages will allow us to run a webinar for 1000 or more people. It is also good to compare the programs in terms of the number of presenters or the duration of the recording. If we are getting ready for a larger audience (over 250 people), it is worth protecting ourselves with a one-time higher package, so that, if necessary, there will be a virtual space for anyone.
Webinar – how is it different from videoconferencing?
A videoconference is a meeting of people who use the possibility of presentation and remote connection of several or a dozen people. In this case, each participant can become the meeting leader and at any time speak “on the vision” or share their screen. Videoconferencing enables two-way communication. Most often, such online broadcasts are organized internally in teams or between teams to discuss specific issues within the company. Webinars are online workshops that are run for outsiders and allow only one or a few people to present themselves. The rest of the people act as listeners.
How to prepare an effective webinar – step by step recipe
Preparation for the webinar can be devoted to a separate blog entry. In this article, we give you a quick recipe for planning and organizing your event. Ready? Here he is!
Preparing for the webinar:
1. Contacts – check if the place from which you are going to conduct the webinar will allow you to connect all the necessary cables (computer power supply, internet, microphone and maybe something else?).
2. Lighting – do you run the webinar in the afternoons? Perhaps at this time of day the daylight coming in is not enough for you. Make sure that interior lighting does not distract viewers and incidentally reflect on the monitor, distorting the image or blurring an important presentation.
3. Sound – conduct tests, connect other devices, make a dress rehearsal. There is nothing worse than technical errors at the beginning of your webinar if your audience is willing to spend your time. Get ready!
4. Materials and presentations – open the most important tabs and arrange them so that you can easily click between them, if necessary.
5. Pinned additional information & FAQ – if the tool you are using provides such an option, remind the most important information for webinar participants at the top of the chat. These can be, for example, tips on what to do if a function does not work, where to download files that you will mention, or a note that the webinar will be recorded.
6. E-mails before and after the event – make sure that the subscribers receive notifications and will receive thanks from you after a successful meeting.
Organized online broadcasting, online training, or online business meetings also have their own technical requirements. A good internet connection (guaranteeing the quality of transmission) or the use of special software and a good webcam will be useful. If you are the meeting leader, prepare a slide show in advance (the presentation will be helpful during the meeting and will additionally enrich your training). A question session will also be useful at the end of the meeting so that webinar attendees can speak. You can also ask them to complete a survey, so you will find out if your training, performance or presentation has been approved by them!
How to check if your webinar was effective? Useful measures of success.
In order to assess the effectiveness of a webinar, it is worth considering the following indicators:
– The number of registered participants that can become your clients.
– Their quality – were they decision makers? Key for your company?
– How long did people attend the event? In other words, for how long did you manage to get their attention and interest? Did the webinar respond to their expectations in terms of time and deadlines?
-% of involvement – we can measure, for example, the number of questions asked.
The main thing! Number of customers / scheduled meetings or consultations – if the purpose of the webinar was also to promote your offer or product, the best indicator of success will be the number of people who decided to buy within a few days of the webinar.
Webinar on the Internet- Pro Tip!
If you use an automation and CRM tool, you can easily analyze the path the person walked before finalizing the transaction. Perhaps, after the webinar, she checked your website and carefully read the offer, getting acquainted with customer testimonials? Or maybe she jumped into the basket immediately after you announced the promotion during the webinar? It’s worth keeping it under control.
Summary – are webinars profitable?
Conducted in an interesting manner, timed and timely tailored to the target group and offering a pill of knowledge that is difficult to find in your industry – they are a recipe for success. Equally in terms of image (your company as an expert!), But also in terms of sales. Webinars allow you to show the true face of your organization – by presenting a specialist. They give the opportunity to build a better relationship with recipients and are often a great sales tool. If you hesitate whether webinars make sense in your company, write to us and we will advise you!