Regardless of the field in which we currently operate – we use application programming interfaces practically everywhere. Starting from shopping, through writing with friends on popular messengers, to making monthly transfers. For a comprehensive understanding of the API, read today’s article, in which we explain the types and examples of the use of application programming interfaces in 2022. Let’s get started!
What is API?
API (Application Programming Interface) is the Application Programming Interface consisting of three main elements – procedures, protocols and tools. Paraphrase-Online.com experts practice this solution primarily to connect applications. Thus, they enable the performance of appropriately designed functions based on data sharing and the effectiveness of predefined processes. Below are the 3 main elements of the API:
– procedures – in other words, routines relating to specific tasks or functionalities performed by a specific program (eg Twitter providing API to programmers, thanks to which they can verify specific data for analytical purposes).
– protocols – formats practiced for the exchange of information between applications.
– tools – segments that allow you to create new programs.
It is also worth mentioning that API solutions have gained popularity thanks to the Internet and other technologies enabling remote communication. Thanks to this, enterprises seamlessly integrate their systems with services provided by various companies, without the need to develop (code) their own solutions from scratch.
How does the API work?
If we consider the technical side, the API is the code responsible for the control of the application or server access points. That’s not all, because we can send the so-called an external request handled by the Application Programming Interface as a translator (API sends requests to the application and allows it to send back appropriate feedback).
API plays a very important role in the context of innovative Internet infrastructure, which relies on distributed systems operating at the same time. Each of them must be able to exchange information in the blink of an eye, which would not be possible without the API (then most of the desired functions would have to be performed manually).
What are the benefits of the Application Programming Interface?
There are a number of benefits offered by the Application Programming Interface (API). These include personalized content, automation, fraud prevention, new product development and regular updates. Some of them turn out to be crucial and support this technology to a large extent, while others are simply attractive additions. Here are 5 benefits of the API!
– personalized content – API allows you to understand customer preferences (this leads to better interactions with potential buyers).
– automation – API relieves Internet users in many matters (they can then spend the saved time on priority matters related to the functioning of the company).
– fraud prevention – API allows you to increase security (only authorized persons have access to data generated using this system).
– creating new products – API helps you to design your own ideas (it is enough to combine several different interfaces to create a completely new product).
– regular news – API opens up new opportunities, allowing your company to evolve (e.g. by adding Facebook login), which will increase the brand‘s credibility in the eyes of customers and convince them that you focus on innovative technological solutions in line with the trends of the 21st century.
It is also worth using the API correctly with the help of 3 key types of this technology – REST API, SOAP API and RPC API. They basically do the same things, but some of them are slightly different. Details below!
REST API (Representational State Transfer API) is primarily a part of network services designed to make requests and receive feedback using the HTTP function. There are 4 main HTTP commands that the REST API is based on, namely – GET, PUT, POST, DELETE. This type of technology is used, for example, by Instagram and other Social Media, where users can view graphic content.
SOAP API (Simple Object Access Protocol), i.e. a protocol that adheres to certain standards. It is dependent on individual XML-based systems and programming. It is also worth mentioning that it requires more information to function properly than other types of this technology. SOAP API is most often used in application programming interfaces dedicated to financial institutions.
RPC API (Remote Procedure Call) is, in short, responsible for remote procedure call. It was the earliest form of API designed to execute a block of code on another server. It is also worth mentioning that RPC used via HTTP can turn into WEB API.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
What API technology is currently the most popular?
Currently, the most popular Application Programming Interface technology is REST API due to the 4 main HTTP commands on which the entire system is based – GET, PUT, POST and DELETE. SOAP API is also commonly practiced, but only in the context of financial institutions, which is why it ranks second in this ranking. According to Paraphrase Online experts, RPC API is the least popular solution, but still practiced in remote procedure calls.
What is an API call?
An API call is nothing more than a type of network interface that uses the architecture and protocols of the WEB network. Everything is done for the purpose of communication between applications that are available on separate devices on each network.